It is usual that we look for ways to vary our appearance and that we want to bet, from time to time, for a surprising change. In this case, one of the most effective methods to achieve our goal is to transform our hair, either cutting it or giving it a touch of color. However, many people want to save the journey and the costs of going to the hairdresser. They decide to opt for home treatments that allow them to add more luminosity to their appearance.
It is most likely that you have run into one of the best-known remedies of all time: hydrogen peroxide. You can use Aloe Vera with H2O2. So that you go on insurance and get the best result without damaging your hair. We explain how to bleach the hair with hydrogen peroxide and what you should know before embarking on the adventure. Take note!
How to bleach hair with hydrogen peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide or hydrogen peroxide is an ideal product if you are looking for cheap and easy ways to bleach hair at home. This process requires some planning and careful application, since, once discolored, the hair loses its natural tone and does not recover it again. We explain how to bleach hair with hydrogen peroxide in seven simple steps:
- Prepare the products that you will need: plastic gloves, a vaporizer container, foil, comb, hairpins or tweezers to hold the locks, a plastic cap, cotton, micellar water or some moisturizing oil for the skin and several towels.
- Wash your hair as you usually do to remove any dirt or products and let it air dry. It has to be completely dry before applying hydrogen peroxide.
- As a precaution, perform a test on a strand. You can try a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide and moisten the tuft with it. Wait until you see the desired tone and you will know how long you have to leave the hydrogen peroxide on the hair. If you have chosen the right hydrogen peroxide, 20 or 30 minutes should be enough. You can leave it a little longer if you think it is necessary. If you want to lighten your black hair until you get a very light blond, you probably have to do it with several applications.
- You should be clear about what kind of rinse you want. You can completely discolor the hair, give some lightening highlights, make California wicks, etc. Whatever it is, you must do it little by little, separating the hair into small strands to achieve a homogeneous result and not forget any area.
- Put a towel on your shoulders to avoid staining clothes. Separate each strand, apply the hydrogen peroxide with a vaporizer and then remove the strand using a clamp or fork. If you want well-defined wicks, you can prevent the hydrogen peroxide from fading out of the wick by wrapping the discolored tuft in foil.
- When you have finished the application of the hydrogen peroxide, put on the plastic cap and wait for the time that we have indicated before removing it. Leave the hydrogen peroxide for only the time necessary to prevent the hair from burning. If you have stained the skin of the face or arms, clean it with a cotton ball soaked with micellar water or some moisturizing oil.
- To remove hydrogen peroxide, you just have to rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water and wash it as you normally do. To strengthen it, you can apply some nourishing mask. Then, help your mane to recover from the discoloration. Let it air dry.
Before bleaching: how to lighten hair without damaging it
The discoloration is always an aggressive process for hair, so taking certain precautions will be essential to achieve the best result without risking the health of your hair. If you are going to bleach your hair with hydrogen peroxide, pay attention to these tips.
- First, you will have to decide the tones that you want to lighten your hair. Depending on the natural tone of your hair, we will decide what type of hydrogen peroxide is better if you have to do it in more than one session.
- It is preferable to have patience so that things go well. If you have previously dyed your hair or subjected it to some hair treatment, it is better that you wait a reasonable time before subjecting it to a discoloration. The usual thing is to wait between 30 and 45 days.
- In the days before fading, it is advisable to use hair products as natural as possible. For example, sulfate-free shampoos or parabens and silicone-free conditioners.
- Keep in mind that the drier and damaged the hair is, the more it will suffer from discoloration. So, it is advisable to apply a moisturizing or nourishing mask in the days before the treatment. Cheap and effective homemade masks can be made using ingredients such as olive oil, almonds, egg yolks or avocado.
- Also, you should think that every time we wash our hair, we remove the protective barrier that is our natural fat. That’s why we also recommend not washing your hair excessively during the days before fading.
- Avoid making him suffer from the use of dryers, straightening irons or curling irons.
How to choose hydrogen peroxide?
You may be thinking about using hydrogen peroxide specific for wounds, the one you always have at home. At first, you must know what its concentration is. When choosing the hydrogen peroxide, you are going to use it. You should look at its volumes. It refers to the density of hydrogen peroxide that the product has. There is hydrogen peroxide of 10, 20, 30 and 40 volumes.
If you already have light hair or just want to give some highlights to your strands, you should opt for 10 volume hydrogen peroxide. If you have dark hair and are looking for more intense discoloration, choose 20 volume hydrogen peroxide.
It is not advisable to use oxygenated waters of higher concentration as a hair lighter since they would spoil the hair a lot and could even cause skin and scalp irritation.
Other ways to lighten hair
If you are not convinced by the use of hydrogen peroxide to lighten your hair at home, you can try using other products such as bleaching powders or dyes with or without ammonia. While it is true that both options are valid, we advise you to go to a professional aesthetic center to make use of them, especially if you have no experience or if you have never faded your hair before.