Thanksgiving is a time to gather with loved ones and give thanks over a hearty meal. The centerpiece plays an integral role in setting the tone for your Thanksgiving table. A beautiful, bounteous turkey centerpiece symbolizes the abundance of the harvest and makes a festive statement as the focal point of your Thanksgiving décor.
When designing your Thanksgiving tablescape, consider complementing your turkey centerpiece with seasonal elements like autumn leaves, gourds, mini pumpkins, nuts, pinecones, and berries in rich shades of red, orange, yellow and brown. The colors of fall will beautifully accent your main turkey centerpiece.
Here are some turkey centerpieces for Thanksgiving to create a stunning centerpiece and complete the table:
Fresh Turkey Centerpieces
Nothing says Thanksgiving like an actual fresh turkey as the centerpiece! While you will still need to cook a turkey for eating, purchasing a second small turkey just for decor lends a touch of authenticity and symbolism to your table.
- For a dramatic effect, position the turkey right on the table atop a round mirror or silver platter to catch the light. Surround with greenery, nuts, flowers, and candlesticks.
- Place the turkey on a cake stand or pedestal to elevate it. Decorate the base with leaves, flowers, berries, pinecones, and twine.
- Stuff the cavity with faux autumn leaves or flowers. Tie a ribbon around its neck along with a name tag place card designating it the “Centerpiece Turkey.”
- Surround with fanned-out turkey feathers for added flair.
- Drape twinkle lights around the base for a festive glow.
Turkey Platter Centerpiece
Turn your turkey serving platter into a decorative centerpiece by filling it with fall fruits, vegetables, flowers, leaves, nuts, pinecones, and candlesticks. Some turkey centerpiece for Thanksgiving ideas:
- Arrange colorful mini pumpkins and gourds around pinecones, oranges, pomegranates, fresh herbs, and nuts like walnuts or chestnuts. Add a bounty of autumn blooms like chrysanthemums, daisies, and wildflowers.
- Place a ring of flickering candles around the edge of the platter interspersed with fall foliage and greenery. Pile pinecones, strawflowers, berries, and cinnamon sticks in the center.
- Surround a large glass turkey figural candleholder with pine sprigs, leaves, acorns, and crabapples. Lean branches tied with twine against the side for a natural look.
- Heap miniature pumpkins, hazelnuts, and ribbon-tied napkin rings inside. Insert branches of changing maple leaves radiating outward for striking appearance.
Whimsical Turkey Centerpiece
For a playful table, create a whimsical turkey centerpiece using fun representations of turkeys. Options include:
- Arrange faux feather turkeys, clay turkey figurines, and mini turkey stuffed animals in the center of the table amidst fall botanicals.
- Showcase wood plaque turkey signs with funny sayings like “Turkeys Gobble, Guests Wobble,” “Let’s Talk Turkey,” or “Give Thanks for This Wild Turkey.” Surround with bittersweet stems, mini gourds, and acorns.
- Place a wild turkey decoy amongst bunches of wheat, autumn berries, pods, dried corn, and leaves for an autumnal hunter’s style appearance.
- Position funky turkey candleholders fashioned from wood, metal, or ceramic in the tablescape. Accent with pinecone turkey candles.
- Use paint or pencils to customize plain wooden turkeys with guests’ names for personalized place settings. Bundle three turkeys per setting with jute.
Natural Elements Turkey Centerpiece
Create an organic look using neutral-toned natural items like greenery, vines, moss, bark, feathers, nuts, twigs, dried botanicals. Ideas:
- Affix turkey feathers together into a fan shape. Prop against a glass vase filled with wheat and dried hydrangea.
- Fill a metal tub with acorns, pinecones, twigs, and nuts. Place mini pumpkins throughout and lean birch log rounds on the sides.
- Nestle a wood bark turkey form amidst eucalyptus sprigs, dried grasses, curly willow stems, and tea light candles.
- Arrange loose feathers, oak leaves, clusters of crabapples, thistles, and pods in a ceramic turkey platter.
Autumnal Harvest Turkey Centerpiece
Reflect the autumn harvest bounty and colors in your centerpiece. Ideas include:
- Place a large orange pumpkin in the center surrounded by gourds, Indian corn, small pumpkins, nuts in the shell, berries, dried pods, and grapevines.
- Fill a galvanized tin tub with wheat, dried corn, mini acorn and butternut squash, pomegranates, dried flowers, pinecones, and autumn spices like cinnamon sticks and whole nutmegs.
- Create a horn of plenty by attaching autumn fruits, vegetables, nuts, leaves, and blooms to a cornucopia form. Underlight with candlelight for a dramatic effect.
- Arrange bunches of carnations, mums, berries, leaves, and nuts in a ceramic turkey platter. Surround with plaid napkin rings.
- Accent colors of russet, gold, orange, and magenta using flowers like roses, gerbera daisies, chrysanthemums, dahlias, and solidago. Mix in hypericum and mini pumpkins.
Candlelit Turkey Centerpiece
Nothing says fall ambiance like the warm flickering glow of candlelight. Create a stunning candlelit turkey centerpiece for your Thanksgiving table:
- Place round ball candles in glass votives around a turkey pedestal cake plate filled with mixed nuts, cinnamon sticks, and dried leaves.
- Arrange an assortment of candles with leaves, pinecones, and flowers down the center of the table. Place a turkey candle stand at one end and small turkey figurines at the other.
- Surround a hurricane vase candle holder filled with autumn blooms with a ring of taper candles in autumn colors. Nestle in nuts like hazelnuts or chestnuts for texture.
- Affix mason jars to a wood slab cut into the shape of a turkey. Fill with cream, orange, and brown candles surrounded by acorns and berries.
- Place a turkey candelabra centerpiece on a mirror or silver platter surrounded by groupings of birch logs and maple leaves.
Budget-Friendly Turkey Centerpieces
You don’t have to break the bank to create a beautiful Thanksgiving centerpiece. Use budget-friendly finds from dollar stores, supermarkets, and nature:
- Arrange fresh roccolini, kale, and autumn blooms in a vase. Surround with mini pumpkins, gourds, nuts, and Indian corn purchased in bulk.
- Place a turkey candle from the dollar store amidst fall leaves, pinecones, seed pods, twigs, and inexpensive carnations and daisies.
- Print out or draw turkey images on cardstock, cut out into shapes, and scatter down the table with fresh berries, flowers, leaves, and inexpensive tea lights.
- Reuse last year’s Thanksgiving décor. Pair items like maple leaves, acorns, mini pumpkins, and pinecones with new inexpensive floral stems and votive candles.
- Create turkeys by affixing a clothespin head and tail feathers to skewers. Set into a hollowed-out pumpkin or glass vase with birch branches.
Festive Turkey Centerpiece Design Tips
When designing your festive Thanksgiving turkey centerpiece, keep these tips in mind:
Create depth and interest by varying the height and sizes of elements. Use tall items like candles, vases, branches, and large statement pieces alongside lower items like gourds, nuts, leaves, and figurines.
Stick to a color palette of autumnal hues like red, orange, yellow, brown, and green. But also incorporate metallics like gold or silver platters, candlesticks, vases or ribbons for a splash of shine.
Incorporate natural textures like wood, twine, feathers, foliage, pinecones, pods, nuts, berries, vegetables, and flowers for fall appeal. Play with contrasts like smooth and prickly, flat and plump.
Make your table look freshly foraged from nature by utilizing organic items with a scattered look. Incorporate unique finds like acorns, curly willow, thistles, seed pods, wildflowers, leaves, and twigs.
Rather than one spread out centerpiece, create several grouped mini designs down the table for intimacy. Connect the groupings with twine, runner, leaves.
Candles and Light
Use plenty of candles to create a cozy, welcoming glow. Opt for taper candles, pillars, tea lights, votives, candlesticks, and hurricane lamps. Underlight centerpieces to accent dimensionality.
Add personalized flair with handmade touches like place cards, paper turkeys, clothespin turkey figures, and handwritten menus or signage.
Have fun with whimsical turkey representations via figurines, stuffed animals, signs, candles, feather fascinators, napkin rings, plates, or chargers.
With a beautifully crafted turkey centerpiece as the focal point, your Thanksgiving table will provide the perfect backdrop for celebrating the season with family and friends. Adorn your table with autumn’s palette, seasonal finds from nature, candlelight, and whimsical turkey flair to inspire thanksgiving and connection. Follow these tips to create a festively bountiful turkey centerpiece that sets the tone for a memorable Thanksgiving meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
How far in advance can I assemble my turkey centerpiece?
Many elements of your turkey centerpiece can be prepared 1-2 weeks ahead. Dried botanicals, gourds, mini pumpkins, nuts, leaves, twigs, pinecones, feather fascinators, and other non-perishables can all be arranged early and simply set out on Thanksgiving. Flowers, fresh fruits/veggies, and turkey should be prepared 1-2 days before.
How can I prevent my centerpiece flowers from wilting prematurely?
Keep flowers in water until ready to arrange. Recut stems on an angle before placing in centerpiece. Choose flowers like mums, roses, carnations that last longer. Use floral foam in vase to absorb water. Mist blooms with water periodically. Keep arrangement out of direct sunlight.
What are good low budget options for creating a turkey centerpiece?
Dollar store items like mini pumpkins/gourds, leaves, berries, blooms, candle holders, and ribbon. Supermarket produce like corn, nuts, veggies, and inexpensive floral bunches. Backyard finds like leaves, acorns, pinecones, branches. Reused items from previous years. Paper craft turkeys and feathers.
How can I incorporate candles safely?
Use electric candles instead of open flame if small children or pets will be present. Place lighted candles out of reach in covered votives. Do test runs beforehand to ensure arrangement is stable and candle placement is safe. Extinguish candles during meal.
What are easy options for handmade touches?
Draw and cut out paper turkey shapes. Craft turkey figures using clothespins, pinecones, wooden spoons. Create place cards or menu cards. Affix leaves or feathers to napkin rings. Paint cheap wood plaques with turkey sayings for signage. Tie jute around silverware bundles or vases.
A festive handcrafted turkey centerpiece can become the dazzling focal point and joyful spirit of your turkey centerpiece for Thanksgiving table. When designing your distinctive turkey décor, think about incorporating autumn’s rich colors, seasonal finds from nature like leaves and gourds, ambient candlelight, whimsical turkey figures, and creative DIY touches. Vary heights, textures, colors, and groupings for visual appeal and intimate style. Unlock the secrets to making a fun Christmas as you infuse festive cheer into every aspect of your holiday preparations, from creating a joyous atmosphere to crafting a thoughtfully adorned table with a beautiful, bounteous turkey centerpiece that not only reflects the spirit of the season but also elevates your celebrations to new heights of merriment with friends and family.