Do you like curry and Japanese food? Have you ever tried Japanese curry? It is a dish with origins in India but that for more than a century became part of Japanese cuisine. In which, they gave some typical touches of Japanese food, although the original basis is respected.
If you are thinking about trying it or have already tested it and want to prepare it at home, do not miss this recipe of Kare Raisu, its name in Japanese. To prepare this delicious typical Japanese dish you will need meat, rice and several other ingredients for the sauce. Do you want to get to work with the preparation of this recipe? Take note of how to make Japanese curry step by step. It is for 4 people and needs 2 hours to prepare.
Ingredients for Japanese curry
- 1 l of water
- 700 cc (0.7 liters) of chicken stock
- 250 g of white rice
- 400 g of meat (chicken)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots
- 100g shiitake Japanese mushrooms or mushrooms
- 1 cup of edamame (soy in pods)
- 2 Japanese curry tablets (if they are 20 g)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Sunflower oil
- Black pepper
Steps to follow to make Japanese curry
Read also: How to Cook Lentils in a Rice Cooker
- Cut the meat into small or medium-sized dice or squares, just to fit in the mouth of a single bite. Pass the meat through the salt and pepper and then brown it in a pot with sunflower oil. When finished, reserve it.
- Prepare the white rice in a pot while you are going to prepare the rest of the ingredients of the Japanese curry or Kare Raisu. When you see the well-cooked white rice, drain and reserve.
- Cut the onion and carrot into small or medium pieces and the whole edamame pods and sauté them in the same sunflower oil stirring for about 8 or 10 minutes over medium heat until you see that they remain at the point you like. A good measuring point is to make sure that the small pieces of onion are all transparent.
- Add the mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms and stir them over medium heat until you think they have released all the liquid. If you want, add grated ginger now and continue mixing everything well.
- Put the golden meat back in the pot, add the water and stir to mix everything well. Leave the heat between medium or low, as you see, and let everything stew well until you see the tender meat. If you want to add the chicken broth, do it halfway through the stew time. This usually takes an hour or an hour and a half.
- Calculate when the stew is 15 or 20 minutes away and then add the Japanese curry tablets. If you don’t want to use a pill and want to prepare the curry at home, take note of this other recipe on How to make the curry sauce.
Once the curry is added, cover the pot and let the remaining time pass over low heat, but when it is about 10 minutes, turn it off and keep the pot covered so that everything has just cooked well without increasing the temperature, so the meat will look good Tender and accompanying ingredients well cooked.
- Serve the Japanese curry or Kare Raisu dishes by placing a white rice base and on or on the side the curried meat stew, depending on the size and shape of the dish and how you want to present it.
This is one of the many variants of Japanese curry or Kare Raisu recipes, as there are more ingredients for the sauce, such as soy sauce, potato or, even, for the most daring, chocolate.