Freezing food is a common procedure in many homes to keep food in good condition and to consume it in a more dosed way. Thanks to refrigeration and freezing, it is very easy to make dishes for multi-day meals, either because you do not have enough time during the week or because you need to take them to work.
Rice is one of the most used ingredients in food, so it is very useful to know how to preserve it so that it lasts for several days and we can take advantage of it. But can it really be done? If you want to know how to freeze cooked rice, the steps you should follow, and the best tips for defrosting and eating it again.
How to Freeze Rice?
Before freezing white or other rice, it is important to respect the times if it is freshly cooked. If so, let it sit at room temperature until the steam disappears. Keep in mind that it is not necessary to put it in the fridge before freezing it: leaving it to rest is enough.
Adding a little vegetable oil to the rice is also very positive to keep the grains separate, preventing them from sticking and maintaining a good texture.
Considering the above, follow this step by step to freeze boiled rice properly :
- Place the rice on a piece of plastic wrap. Depending on the amount you want to freeze, divide the rice into several pieces to create several servings.
- Wrap the rice in the paper, thus creating packages that protect the grains from ice.
- Store packages in a freezer-tight bag. If you don’t have this bag, use a plastic container that closes very well.
- Be sure to expel as much air as possible from the bag before closing it. Thus, the rice will stay fresh.
- Place the container or bag inside the freezer. Make sure that if you store several bags with lots of rice in the container, they are stretched and flat so that no ice is generated around them and it is easier to reheat them in the future.
- Put the container in a space far away from heavy foods to avoid crushing the rice.
- Frozen rice is kept in good condition for one month. Still, it’s important that you don’t remove it from the freezer until you decide to eat it.
- We recommend putting a label on the bag or container with the date you put it in the freezer. In this way, you will know if it is still good or if it may have already been damaged.
- Place the rice in a microwave-safe container and heat it for 1 minute. Reheat it for another minute, and then within 30 seconds until it thaws. Do it this way to prevent it from cooking.
- If the rice is very dry from being in the freezer for a long time, pour a tablespoon of cold water each time you open the microwave, stirring well the water and the grains.
- For certain dishes such as casseroles, enchiladas or stews, you can skip the defrosting process and add it directly to the pan or pot so that it is heated while the rest of the ingredients are cooking. Try to separate the piles of frozen rice before putting it together with the other ingredients.
- Integrating frozen rice into other dishes works in dishes such as casseroles or fried rice, since the grains are exposed to very high temperatures and heat better.
- Defrost only the amount of rice you are going to eat. Freezing it again will cause it to lose all the quality and properties it has retained so far.
Can you freeze rice?
The rice can be frozen, but the method you use will depend on how it is cooked: if it is a dry rice, whether it is white and cooked, baked or paella, you can freeze it without any problem and with no greater concerns than compliance. with the relevant steps before putting it in the freezer.
In contrast, rice made with broth or honey cannot be lightly frozen. If you make it as you have left over in the pot, it will freeze badly and, once you defrost it, you will not be able to eat it because the rice grains and the rest of the ingredients are most likely soft and with an unpleasant taste.
You may like also to read https://wakeweb.co.uk/